Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Comings ang Goings

Let's start where I left off. A couple of weeks ago I went to Chicago to visit my Aunt Dorothy who is sick with stage 4 colon cancer. I arrived in Chicago late on Wednesday night. On Thursday and Friday I spent most of the day with Do, going to lunch and to the mall while she napped. She was in great spirits. We spent a lot of time talking about everything. There were many moments when I was fighting back tears, knowing that this could be one of the last times I am able to spend quality time with her. I was able to help her do some laundry and other household chores. I also went to the store to pick up some food for her. On Friday we even went for a short walk together. It was the first time she'd been outside for a walk other than going to the car to go to the hospital or doctor's office in weeks. It was a blessing to see her doing so well.

While I wasn't with Do I was able to spend much needed time with my best friends. Jordan and Marin were there to cheer me up and help provide some balance to the trip. We went out to eat, shopping and just enjoyed being together.

On the plane ride home it really hit me that I might not see Do again or be able to hug her. I know that on one of my next trips up I'll be going to say my final farewell to Do. I am not sure how to prepare for that...but I know that I'll be surrounded by my friends and family and so will Do and that is all I can really ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment