Sunday, August 22, 2010

UCF Move-in Day!

Yesterday Grant and I went to UCF to help my youngest brother, Zack, move into his Freshman dorm. Zack enjoyed showing us around his campus and college town. When we arrived Zack checked in at the area office and got his keys. It brought back tons of memories of when I was an RA and GHD at UF, checking in the newest class of Gators each fall! The day the dorms opened in the fall was always one of my favorite days of the school year. It was always crazy busy, but I loved every minute of it!

Zack took us to his dorm room. He is staying in Sumter Hall. He has one roommate and shares a bathroom with another two guys. It is set up similar to Hall 95...or the Springs...in Gainesville. Apparently this is one of the oldest dorms at UCF, which makes all of the dorms in Gainesville seem archaic!

Moving in Zack was far easier than when I moved in. Me, my Mom, Tess, Grant and Zack each took in one load of stuff and we were done! An added benefit was that Zack's room was on the first floor. So easy! I remember moving into Jennings and having to wait in line to use the service elevator - one elevator for the entire building!

After we moved Zack's stuff in we went to a local restaurant for lunch. Zack was excited to share some of the local food with us. El Corral was good. I got a chicken sandwich and broiled yucca. We also got a side of plantains...Yum! After lunch we headed to the local Super Wal-Mart...the traffic just getting to Wal-Mart was insane! I thought maybe there was an accident, but the back up was from the left turn lane into the Wal-Mart parking lot! Crazy!!!

Of course when we got to Wal-Mart it started raining...my Mom was nice enough to drop us all off at the front while she went to park. Wal-Mart was PACKED with UCF students! We picked up a few necessities for Zack and checked out rather quickly.

On the way back to campus we stopped at Jeremiah's Italian Ice. This place was AWESOME! It's like Rita's, but times 10! After we all enjoyed our gelatis we went back to campus and toured the the rec center. This place is amazing as is, but they're doing construction and by the end of the semester the rec center will probably at least double in size!! There was also an amazing pool!! I think this rec center is the main reason so many kids want to go to UCF!

We dropped Zack off at Sumter Hall and hit the road to get back to Jacksonville.

The whole day brought back memories of UF. It is crazy to think that 10 years ago I moved into Jennings 1 freshman year. Since then I have been friends with so many of the girls on that floor.

I met my husband through a friend on that floor, Mandy. I was a bridesmaid in Mandy's wedding and her in mine.

I became great friends with my random roommate, Erin. We each stood up for each other in our weddings and now both live in Jacksonville! Yay!

I've gone to San Diego to visit Kayla and I cannot wait to meet her baby!

I see Kellie, one of my RAs, when I go down to Fort Myers. Her daughters are adorable and she is such an amazing Mom! All of us girls on Jennings 1 knew she would be!

4 comments:

  1. What nice memories of your UF Housing days! :) Working as one of your RAs was an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. What great memories that brought back. I got all goose-bumply. Woot woot for on-campus housing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO hard to believe it was 10 years ago! Man we are getting old! Thanks for being such a great friend for the past 10 years, Becky!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you don't deserve any of the blesings that you have, you try and store up all the good things for yourselves, greedy bitches

    ReplyDelete