Saturday, May 19, 2012

Part Three: Money, Money, Money!!


So we were about to board the IVF train, but we needed to see how much the tickets were. God was there to hold our hands as we tried to figure this all out financially.
 
I left working in golf to work in pharmaceutical sales in 2008. I loved working at my first pharmaceutical company. The company was great, my coworkers were amazing, the medication was second to none. But I could see that my time there was limited due to my medication losing patent exclusivity (going generic) and me having the least seniority in the area. I had to look for another job.

I searched high; I searched low. I interviewed and interviewed. Then, I heard of a new medication coming to the market. This company was new to this sector (the one I had been working in since 2008) and was hiring a whole new sales force. I applied. My first phone interview was with an out-of-state manager as the Florida manager was yet to be hired. He asked very specific questions about my geography and local accounts. Questions that I knew the answers to, but this kind of knowledge does not come free. I told him that the reason he would hire me was because I knew these accounts inside and out, but that I was not going to just give him this information over the phone. He would have to trust and hire me to take advantage of my knowledge and expertise. He asked me a few clinical questions regarding the new medication, but I had not read each clinical trial. I feared that I just interviewed myself out of the job.

Shortly after the phone interview I was asked to travel to Tampa to interview with this manager face-to-face. However, the turnaround time was tight and I was already scheduled to ride with my current manager those days, so I had to decline. Once again, I feared that this job was not going to work out. I called the manager from the number he had used when he called me for the phone interview. His wife answered…turned out that was his home phone! I explained the situation to her and she gave me his email address. I emailed and let him know that if my chances at this job rode on this trip to Tampa that I would do it, but that if there were another time/location to meet with him that would be ideal. He told me he’d push me through to the next round with no needing to worry about traveling to Tampa. Yay!

Next step was a face-to-face interview with who would turn out to be my new manager and his boss in Atlanta. Needless to say, I kicked butt and got the job that day. My current employer is based out of Massachusetts and has been a great work home for me. You may wonder…how is this connected?

IVF can cost up to $20,000+ per attempt with each attempt offering ~60% pregnancy rates. Grant and I had been saving for it for a while because I knew that we might have to go that route to have children. Now that we knew we had to go in that direction it was time to see how much this would really cost us. Our fertility clinic ran our insurance (BCBS of Massachusetts) and…we got amazing news. As long as we did a few extra tests and filled out a prior authorization we were 100% covered by insurance for up to two IVF attempts! How many people in Florida have BCBS of Massachusetts?! Once again, God definitely had his hand in steering me to this new job at this time in our lives. He provided.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Again. Seriously, what are the chances of such an insurance situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is so fantastic! Ready for Part Four.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jehovah provides! What a great example of His faithfulness! Thanks for sharing this lesson of God's loving kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing was that!! You are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete