Sunday, September 04, 2005

Chicago - a brief summary of a great trip

Grant and I went to Chicago last weekend. I have been busy with my 4 classes, independent study and 2 jobs until this current study break.

Grant and I drove down to the Orlando airport Friday afternoon and flew up to Chicago that night. My friend Marin picked us up and we hung out that night at her apartment. It was great getting to meet her roommate and see her coat! (she is in her first year of med school.) We went to bed early and work up the next morning to begin our long day of meetings. Marin was amazing and let us borrow her car while she went to her coating ceremony with her family.

We headed off to our first meeting of the day at a reception location. We got there and wandered down to the basement of the clubhouse and found the main office. We got a tour of the facility, but were not impressed. Plus the prices had gone up since they sent me an email the week before. We made mental notes about this first stop and headed off to the next meeting.

We met with Modern Images Studios. Their office was really amazing. We saw examples of all of their photobooks and watched a dvd with the work of one of the photographers who was available on our wedding day. Her work was amazing. We were definitely impressed with vendor!

Next, we met with the caterer, Noteable Events. We found their office and were met by Ann. Quickly after the food started coming. Mike, the chef and owner, brought out an amazing salad. Then, he brought out char-fired chicken (2 whole chickens!), roasted red potatoes and asparagus. In case we didn't like that entree, he brought out stuffed chicken breasts, mashed potatoes and broccoli. Everything so far was amazing! I had told Ann before the meeting that we were going to order a cake from another vendor, so we didn't need dessert. However, Mike brought out 2 huge pieces of chocolate cake, 8 chocolate covered strawberries and 2 chocolate dipped chocolate chip cookies! And if that wasn't enough food to feed a small army, Mike brought out a HUGE bowl of Bananas Foster. I think I gained 10 pounds that afternoon, but it was worth it. Noteable Events is truly noteworthy!

After we stuffed our tummies full of amazing food we went to the Lindner Conference Center to meet with Brenda. We were in luck too because they were setting up for a wedding that very evening. The main room was absolutely beautiful. There were floor to ceiling windows overlooking a lake, plenty of room for our guests and dancing. I loved it. Brenda was great!

We were getting pretty tired, but we had one more meeting that afternoon with another photographer. This photographer had good work, but was a little more expensive than the one we met with previously. We were not really impressed. Definitely not sold.

We had a few free minutes so we ran over to Grant's Aunt and Uncle's house. I love Beth and Tony and their dog Rufus (a wheaton terrier)! Tony is a Sox fan...I am a Cubs fan...This season Tony definitely has the bragging rights. But there is always next season!

We then went to Jordan's for a bit. I asked her to be my Maid of Honor :). She said yes! I know she is going to do a great job and I couldn't imagine having anyone else as my MOH. She has been my friend since first grade and is always there for me. I could go on and on about her. Jordan is the best!

We hung out with Jordan that night and I got to meet her boyfriend Ryan who was awesome! Marin came by and we watched a movie and talked. It was like old times. :)

We went back to Marin's and I asked her to be in my wedding. She said yes too! :) Marin and I met in first grade as well. We go way back. We were all pretty exhausted and Grant and I had a meeting at 9 the next morning so we went to bed.

The next morning we met with 2 more photographers, both of which were more pricey, but really nice! I would love to have one of them, but I just can't see spending more than I need to. Then, we met with Pastor Dean at First United Methodist Church of Western Springs. The church is perfect! Very tradition and old fashioned, just like I have always imagined. It is in my home town in Western Springs, just blocks from my childhood home. Pastor Dean is amazing too! I just love him. He was so open and nice. He's going to be a great man to work with and get to know more as our wedding day approaches. SO happy we got to meet him!

So that was our weekend, lots of meetings, but we got to cross off 4 things on our list: church, reception site, caterer and photographer. I love Chicago! I love Grant! I can't wait to marry him in the town I love!

Becky =)

No comments:

Post a Comment