Sunday, April 25, 2010

Our weekend

This weekend Grant and I didn't have any plans. It was nice to relax and catch up on some work around the house. On Friday night I made pulled BBQ chicken in the crockpot and we had that for dinner. It was a yummy healthy version of pulled pork BBQ sandwiches...plus it was super easy to make. Before I went to work on Friday I put 4 chicken breasts in the crockpot with 1/2 a bottle of BBQ sauce. I let it cook on low until I got home from work. I then raised the temperature to high and put the rest of the BBQ sauce in, shredded the chicken breasts and let it cook for 2 hours. Next time I'll probably make less...because we had lots of left overs.

After we ate we rented The Hurt Locker with Mintu and Mary. It was a good movie. It seemed really realistic and made me thankful for all of our servicemen and women and their families. A big shout out to our good friends Kayla and Evan! Thank you for all that you do to keep us safe! On Friday, I went to the VA for work. I was talking with some of the primary care doctors and thanking them for working so hard on such an important population, our veterans. I am touched every time I go to the VA when I see some of the veterans walking the halls and waiting in the waiting rooms. Each person there must have so many stories.

On Saturday Grant got up super early and went to the gym while I was still sleeping. He was already home by the time I was ready to work out. He spent some time trimming our trees while I hit the gym.

When I was leaving the gym I saw a stray collie wondering in front of the YMCA. I went up to him and found his collar. There were several other people gathered around the dog, worried that it had ran away from home. We got the dog some water while I called the number on the collar. No one answered. I left a message letting them know that their dog was found and that it was at the Y. I called a few more time, still with no answer. We googled the name and number to see if we could find a street address. No luck. People were calling their vet friends to see if we could find a place to bring the dog. The dog, Jack, was large, stinky (probably hadn't been bathed in weeks/months), matted, thirsty, hot and beautiful. Then, a minivan drove up to the Y. A mom and 12 yr. old son got out of the car and just stood there, looking at us. I asked them if Jack was their dog. The mom said yes and that Jack hears kids around the Y and runs away frequently. She said she was out in the yard doing yard work when her husband called to let her know that Jack had been found at the Y. I guess her husband was across town and lacked the decency to pick up his phone when we called or call us back. They took the dog back home and the rest of us were in shock. That poor dog. I hope that they take him to get groomed asap. It's getting really hot in Florida and this dog had a full coat of fur and it seemed like it spent quite a bit of time outside. It just made me so sad. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have dogs!

Look at that sly gaze from Reagan! What a cutie!!
Our girls getting dressed up! :)
Love this shirt: "Spoiled and Loving it" - our souvenir for Penelope when we went to NYC.
When I got home all I wanted was to hug Reagan and Penelope, get in the shower and give them baths too. That is exactly what I did. Here is a pic of them in the shower. I washed them at the same time, which made it quite difficult to dry them!

2 comments:

  1. It is sad some people don't take care of their pets. You do a great job taking care of your dogs. They are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad when strangers take better care than owners. Love the wet dog pics. Looks like Grant was being house- productive as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete