Saturday, July 10, 2010

4th of July = Trip to Chicago to see fabulous people

Every year Grant and I head to Chicago to spend the 4th of July. The 4th of July is probably my most favorite holiday for the following reasons:

1. There is no pressure to buy gifts like Christmas
2. My family always gets together at my Uncle Jim and Aunt Sandy's home on a lake in Springfield
3. 5 years ago Grant proposed to me in Springfield
4. I get to see my best friends and spend some quality time with them
5. The days are long and the weather is usually amazing

Grant and I had initially decided to drive to Chicago until I found reasonably priced direct flights. We flew out bright and early on Thursday morning (our flight was at 7:10a). It was funny when we were boarding because the lady in front of us had somehow gotten her fullsize bag through security and was trying to carry it on! She firmly stated that she measured it before she came to the airport and that it was small enough to carry on...she was forced to check her bag at the gate. Grant and I were able to sleep for most of the flight. I grabbed this photo as we were arriving in Chicago.

We spent Thursday (Marin's birthday) with Jordan and Marin during the day and then went out for Marin's birthday that night. Jordan, Marin and I grew up together and have been friends since first grade - over 20 years! Wow, we're getting old! We met Marin at her condo downtown where Grant and I were able to meet Marin and David's lab puppy, Nala! She is the cutest thing EVER! Here are a few of the MANY photos I took of her!

One of Marin's birthday presents from Jordan - a framed pic of baby Nala! It quickly replaced the pic of Marin & David above the TV!

We took Nala with us to lunch at the Little Branch Cafe. It was yummy and Nala was SO good! She is a funny walker, though. She walks for about 5 steps and then finds a shady spot in the grass and lays down. It was pretty funny! I'm sure as she gets older she'll be a better walker!

That afternoon we decided to go to Navy Pier and take a skyline boat tour in Lake Michigan. I love being a tourist in my home city! The weather was amazing (80 and no humiddity!) and the views were to die for. I truly miss living up there! Here are some photos from the boat tour.

As we walked back to the car we passed this large noodle (I think it's creative advertising for Kraft Mac & Cheese). I thought it was funny that all the kids were climbing all over it despite the sign to the right.

We went back to Marin's place and freshened up/changed. David made Marin and her parents dinner while Jordan, Grant, Ryan and I headed to Market for dinner. I ordered a BBQ chicked caesar flatbread pizza...it definitely did not stack up to that same dish at our favorite Urban Flats in Ponte Vedra, but the company made up for that! We enjoyed dinner and even got a special dessert for my belated birthday!

The Birthday dessert was a mini shopping cart full of caramel and cheddar popcorn and grape cotton candy - how unique!

After dinner we got bottle service at the rooftop bar to celebrate Marin's 28th birthday. It was so much fun! The rooftop bar was pretty cool with great views of downtown Chicago. The VIP table we were at was like a cabana, so I felt right at home!

The whole group at Market for Marin's birthday!

On Friday, Jordan headed back to work and Grant and I headed to Springfield with my Aunt Linda and Uncle Mike. I'll post on that later! :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, the weather when you were in the City was gorgeous! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chicago. My favorite big city by far. How neat that you go back every 4th of July and have such fond memories of the date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the weather does look amazing. I love the blue skies! That is awesome that you are still close with your friends from first grade... and that they are still in the same place so you can see them together! Glad you all had a Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By far the best weather we have had all summer! I mean, its like that all the time here...move back!!!

    ReplyDelete