Thursday, June 11, 2009

Here and Gone

Some things in life renew your faith in God. This morning I got a text from my friend Andrea that her water broke and she and Jeff were on their way to the hospital to give birth to their first baby! About 30 minutes later my last grandparent passed away in Chicago. As one life enters this world, one leaves. The circle of life begins for one and ends for another.

My Grandma lived a great life. She died at 90 years old after having a heart attack. For the past few years she'd been living in an assisted living facility. I remember going to her house every year on Christmas Day. I remember the big dark wood chairs with red velvet seats that she had in her dining room. I remember the fireplace mantle covered in family photos and the kitchen drawer always stocked with red licorice. I remember her crisp blue eyes and her always present smile. I remember how she always called me her Number One Grandchild (I was the first of her 12 grandchildren). I remember how she fell for my husband. Grant and I stayed with her for a few days during one of our many trips to Chicago. My Grandma showed Grant the big, old, wooden swinging door between her kitchen and the dining room. She showed him how it wasn't swinging anymore. Grant took it upon himself to take the door off it's hinges and fix it in the basement, then put it back into place. My Grandma was so happy to have it working that she called my Aunt Margie to come over just to show it to her.

My Grandma is in a better place now. Hopefully reuniting with her husband and many other friends and looking down at us smiling. We all knew that she was getting sick, but when you hear the words that she has passed away it leaves a hole in your heart and it hurts, even though you've tried to ready yourself for that very feeling, that very moment. I can only imagine how it must feel to lose someone when you aren't ready, when you aren't expecting it to happen, when they haven't lived 90 years. I hope that I never have to experience that feeling.

After I spent some time with my Dad this morning to make sure he was 'ok.' I went to work. I went to one Mental Health Center and then headed to Baptist Hospital. While I was walking around the hospital I noticed people in a prayer room, probably praying for sick loved ones. On my way to the Labor & Delivery floor I saw new moms and dads joyously walking out of the hospital with healthy newborn babies. I arrived to the Labor & Delivery floor after checking out the Psych Unit for work. I saw that the door was locked. I heard a nurse buzz in saying that she was there for Andrea! I stopped her for a second before she went in. I asked if Conner had been born yet. He hadn't. I told her to tell Andrea that I stopped by and was praying for a quick delivery and a healthy baby. I went down the elevator to head back to my car when I ran into Andrea's husband Jeff. He was on his way back to Andrea after grabbing a quick bite to eat. He looked excited/nervous all at the same time. We talked about how Andrea was doing. He said that the baby might come in about an hour. I left as he went back up to Andrea's room.

Later in the afternoon while I was with one of our mutual friends we got a picture text from Andrea. She had a perfect, beautiful baby boy! We're going to make a visit tonight to formally welcome Conner to the group!

A lot happened on 6/11/09. God definitely didn't take a vacation day today!

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your Grandma, Becky. I know all too well how much it hurts to loose a grandparent. My thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thoughts are with you, too. 90 years is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete