Monday, June 22, 2009

Visit from my Partner!

So we all know that Grant is my partner for life. Some of you know I've have a different type of partner ... a floor partner. In college I was an RA in the best residence hall at the University of Florida, Broward Hall (Jennings is a very close second!). Most of the floors in Broward Hall have a girls side and a guys side connected by a lounge. I was an RA in Broward Hall for 4 semesters. The RA on the male side of my floor was, Brett, my floor partner. When I first became an RA I didn't know what to expect. I was excited, but nervous. Brett had already been an RA on that floor for a semester (I started in January after his previous floor partner graduated in December). I let Brett take the lead until I got the hang of it all. Brett and I grew to be great floor partners and great friends. He is one of those guys who will always be there for you, will fly across the country to be at your wedding (even if he only has 24 hours to do it all in), answer his phone at all hours if you need something (just don't ask him to kill a roach!), help you move futons across campus. To sum it all up, he is someone I can count on and he is a great friend who is like family to me.

Just before Grant and my wedding Brett started dating a girl. They were a very new couple at the time of our wedding, so she didn't make the trip to Chicago for the celebration. After that summer she moved to Washington, DC to attend college at Catholic University. Her visits to Florida mostly involved quality time with her family and with Brett, so I had yet to meet her until this month...I know...its really horrible. I only met her because of Brett's persistence (not that I didn't want to meet her, but Brett made it happen). Brett called me on Friday to see what my plans were for the weekend. I called him back and let him know that I was in town, and that it was one of my only free weekends out of the past 8 weeks! So, Brett and Danielle made the drive from Gainesville to Jacksonville that evening after Brett had been at work since 6A!


We met at PF Changs for dinner. I really enjoyed getting to know Danielle, although I felt as if I already knew her, in part because of my conversations with Brett and in part because she reminded me a lot of myself in her motivation, drive and determination. Danielle was so sweet. She is intelligent, beautiful, caring, driven, talented, well-spoken, motivated...I could go on. She is a great catch and a wonderful compliment to Brett. Brett is one of the most loyal, thoughtful, considerate and caring men I've met. Dinner was wonderful! Brett and Dani stayed the night in our guest suite. I LOVE having visitors and Dani and Brett were no exception. Penelope loves it too!

On Sunday we all went to the beach where I learned that Brett is an amazing Bocci Ball player...in part because unbeknownst to me he was a shot putter in high school. If I had know that I would have picked a different beach activity! We had a great time at the beach and then hit up the Sandwich Man for lunch. After lunch we showered and headed to the Clubhouse at TPC Sawgrass.

I was so glad that Brett and Dani visited! I hope this was the first of many visits! They are a wonderful couple and great friends!

2 comments:

  1. Jennings is #1!!! That's awesome you had such a wonderful floor partner and that you still keep in touch. I wonder what Tarah is up to.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops- I was helping my mom with her account and posted with her account!

    ReplyDelete