Sunday, October 21, 2012

The birth of Reese and Zane


Me 5 days before the babies came.
Here is how it happened.

On September 29th I started having really strong upper middle back pain. So strong I couldn’t move…I was crying in pain. I tried a heating pad. Grant massaged me. I took Tylenol. It finally was manageable, but that was the start of the worst week of my pregnancy. Before that date I had very little aches/pains/symptoms of pregnancy.

On Monday, October 1st I had an ultrasound to check on the babies growth. They estimated that Reese was 4 pounds 15 ounces and Zane was 4 pounds 8 ounces. I was so squirmy on the ultrasound table because I was in a lot of pain in my ribs…more than usual.

My four kids! :)


The rest of that week I had headaches and was grew more and more uncomfortable.

On Friday night a group of our friends went out to a nearby bar. Grant and I decided to join them. We got there at 8:30pm. We took some photos with my belly and had a great time. I had a headache, but assumed that it was because I was dehydrated, so I drank quite a bit of water while out. At 10:30pm we left. Grant went to get the car and I noticed that I had more wetness than normal…

 Taking some fun photos with my belly...for the last time! Who knew?!

<3 :=":" p="p">


That night I asked Grant to finish packing our hospital bag using the checklist I had written while I laid in bed with upper middle back pain. I decided to take a warm bath thinking that it might relieve some of the strain of the extra weight on my back. It didn’t work. Then, at 1:00am we went to bed.

At 3:30am I woke up to use the restroom and noticed that I was wet again…but it wasn’t a gush or anything. Grant was sleeping. I figured in the morning I’d wake him up and we’d go to the hospital just to get checked out.

At 6:30am I woke up and felt something…It felt like I was about to have a heavy discharge. I quickly got up and made it to the toilet…where my water broke.

Before all of this happened I wondered if I’d know when I was going into labor. Would I know what contractions felt like? Would I know it if my water broke? Now I know the answers to those questions!

I called for Grant and told him my water had broken. I called the OB on call and explained the situation and was advised to go to the hospital. I asked if I could take a shower first, she said yes. I called my parents’ house. My Dad answered. I told him to tell my mom that my water broke and we were heading to the hospital to have our babies! He was in shock and woke my mom up to tell her.

I showered, shaved, dried my hair, did my make-up. Then, my mom was calling. She asked where we were…I told her at home. They were already at the hospital!

 Ready to go to the hospital!
We arrived at the hospital around 8:00am.


They didn’t have record of my preregistration so we had to register at the front desk. My dad got me a wheelchair. Once we checked in we were taken to Labor and Delivery where I was put in a triage room.

They hooked me up to a bunch of monitors. One for each babies heart rate and one for mine. Only one person was allowed in triage with me at a time. Grant stayed with me for a while then traded places with my Mom and then Tess came to see me.





I seemed to be in that room for a long time waiting for the doctor. The doctor checked me and verified that my water had broken and told me I was only 1cm. This whole time I was having painful contractions that lasted 30-45 seconds every 2 minutes. She talked to me about vaginal versus C-Section deliveries. I opted for a vaginal delivery since I was a good candidate and both babies were head down. The one risk was delivering Twin A vaginally and then needing a C-Section for Twin B should he turn or be in distress.

I was moved into a Labor and Deliver room and after about 4 hours of regular contractions I asked for an epidural. I was nervous that it would hurt. They let my mom stay in while the anesthesiologist put in my epidural. I contracted three times while she was prepping and sticking me. I had to try so hard not to move. Surprisingly, it was not painful except for the lidocaine injections to numb the area.

The epidural took effect relatively quickly and I enjoyed watching College GameDay with Grant, my Mom, Tess and Zack. At 2:30pm I was checked and I was 4cm and about 80%. I figured I’d be pushing around 9pm. I was happy because I’d be able to watch the Gator game.

Here are a few photos from my time post epidural, pre pushing :)



My mom fixated on watching the babies heartbeats :)

Tess waiting
Checking my phone
We're just chilling, waiting on the babies.

A couple of photos of me and Grant before our world changes!
My favorite button...hello epidural!

Just before halftime of the Gator game at 4:30 I was checked again. I was 10cm! The nurse went to get the doctor and I was wheeled to the OR. They deliver all twins in the OR at my hospital in the event of an emergency C-Section. Grant and my mom put on their scrubs and joined me.


Heading to the OR!!!

When I entered the OR there were a lot of people there. Me, Grant, my Mom, the anesthesiologist, a nurse anesthetist, 3 nurses for me, my OB, and 3 nurses per baby and a NICU PA. I felt like there was a lot of pressure on me to push these babies out fast.And that didn’t happen!

Me and my mom in the OR.
Ready for Reese and Zane!
Some of the entourage

After pushing for 2 hours Reese was born. Reese Harper Clem was born at 6:36pm and weighed in at 4 pounds 10 ounces and 16.5 inches long. Grant cut Reese’s umbilical cord and she was taken to the NICU.

My baby girl!!

Dad cutting the cord!
Her weight
My baby's hand :)


I'm in love!!!!
Three generations of strong, amazing women!

Then, I was told that I went from 10cm to 8cm. They discussed wheeling me back into a Labor & Delivery room to “labor down.” Then, some of the nurses left to go to another delivery. it seemed that Zane’s heart rate was fluctuating a bit too much when I was contracting. The decision was made to keep me in the OR and to push him out. So I started pushing. My epidural was wearing off…especially on my left side. I was exhausted. Then, my OB left to deliver another baby. Suddenly it was just me, Grant, my Mom, the nurse anesthetist and two nurses. There was no one to catch my baby. I was told to keep pushing…so I did, but I was frustrated. At shift change I lost my great nurses and was left with two that would have rather talked to themselves than count 1-10 through my contractions or tell me when to push. My Mom stepped in and counted for me and directed the nurses. Grant held one of my legs and I pushed, not sure if I was pushing effectively. After what seemed like forever my doctor came back. She said we could do a C-Section if this was too much for me. I said no. There was no way I was doing that unless Zane needed it. She helped me know when I was pushing effectively and we got Zane out. Zane Jackson Clem was born at 8:35pm and weighed 4 pounds 7 ounces and was 17.5 inches long. Zane was taken to the NICU quickly. I was sewn up and then wheeled back into my Labor & Delivery room. I got to see each baby, but I didn’t get to hold them. Grant went to the NICU to check on them.


My baby Zane! Love my new, little man!!

After delivery it didn’t take long for me to walk over to the NICU and see my babies. J I feel in love.



First time holding Reese in the NICU hours after delivery.



Saying hi to my baby Zane :)
Grant with Zane.

Reese and Dad.


Dad checking out Reese

Us with our little baby girl Gator!

2 comments:

  1. Brough a tear to my eye!
    Awesome job on pushing them both out! That is quite a feat! And they are both absolutely adorable!!! Can't wait to meet them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why my comment disappeared. Congrats to you and Grant. You did an amazing job during labor. Way to go! I can't wait to read about these little ones growing up over the years. They are lucky to have such great parents. Much love!

    ReplyDelete