Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Timing is Everything

Sometimes it can be hard to see God working in your life...sometimes it can be crystal clear.

Two Fridays ago Grant and I planned to drive down to Fort Myers. That same morning my Great Aunt Dorothy was scheduled to have surgery in Chicago. I asked my boss if I could leave around 1P to make the 6 hour drive down to Fort Myers during daylight. He said I could leave early. Grant was able to take a 1/2 day at work as well.

I left the office at 1P, went home, packed up Penelope and had lunch. Then, we hit the road. About 30 minutes into our drive we were on I-95, Grant was driving, Penelope was in my lap and my phone rang. It was my Mom. I answered.

I asked her how she was doing. She didn't sound that great. I asked her how things went with Dorothy. She said not too good. My heart sank. My mom went on to tell me, in the strongest voice she could find, that my Great Aunt Dorothy had stage IV colon cancer and was given 6 months to live.

Do, as we all call her, has been there for everything. She was there at all of the birthday parties, graduations, celebrations for anything, church, you name it, she was there. She used to take us to church every Sunday. I remember one Sunday on the way home from church we convinced her that we could lead the way home (we were in elementary school at the time). My cousin Kari did the leading, telling Do when and in which direction to turn. We ended up at Kiddieland - a little amusement park for kids. Do laughed.

It is hard to believe that someone who you thought was so healthy and vibrant could really be so sick.

God's timing is everything, though. The fact that I was not in the office and that I was not driving when my Mom called to break the news, the fact that I was able to have a great weekend with family to get away and take it all in - God has a way with showing you his presence especially at times when you need it most.

I've talked to Do a few times in the past week and a half. She is in good spirits. I cannot wait to see her and give her a big hug. Until then, I'll continue to pray, knowing that God is looking out for me and for Do.

2 comments:

  1. Becky,

    We will be praying for Do and for your family. You have a great perspective on this and it is true, that His timing is everything...although sometimes harder to accept in the rough times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,

    We will be praying for Do and for your family. You have a great perspective on this and it is true, that His timing is everything...although sometimes harder to accept in the rough times.

    ReplyDelete