Thursday, April 03, 2008

Danielle's Visit

One of my very close friends, Danielle came to visit last weekend. Danielle and I worked together as Resident Assistants in Broward Hall - by far the best dorm on the UF campus - while we were undergrads. We became close friends after taking Jogging class together - yes they have such classes at a first class institution such as UF. Danielle and I have been places together. She came to Jacksonville with me one year for the Florida Georgia football game - also know as the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. We planned a Spring Break trip together to Miami and Key West. While in Miami we partied with P. Diddy. We vowed to save money that we'd eat only Balance Bars the entire trip. It was a good time.

Right after college Danielle moved to Pensacola, then to Atlanta and now lives in DC. While she lived in Atlanta she helped me shop for wedding dresses. In DC she has taken me to Annapolis, the Washington Monument, the Holocaust Museum, Old Town, GWU and so much more. In the middle she was a bridesmaid in my wedding.What is truly remarkable about our friendship is how it has grown over the years despite the distance. I've learned since college that it is much harder to make close friends in the "real world" than it was in college. However, all of my "real world" experiences have helped to bring me closer to my core group of friends though many live so far away.

Danielle came to visit last Thursday. We spent most of our time at the beach and hanging out with new and old friends at night. Danielle got to meet Penelope and go for many rides in my new car. We stayed up late talking about everything and anything. What is best about great friends is that whenever you are together it is hard to remember that you really live apart.

On Monday, I had to take Danielle back to the airport. It was bittersweet. While I hate seeing her go, I know that it will only be a few short weeks or months until we see each other again - in DC, Jacksonville or maybe somewhere new.

One of the bizarre events of the weekend happened on Friday night. We were out and I looked across the bar and saw this guy who looked very familiar. I knew that I knew him. This happens to me a lot. I remember faces, but have a hard time of remembering names or where I know the face from. I was convinced this time that I knew this face from housing at UF. I turned to Danielle and asked her if she recognized him. She said she did. We both tried to think of where we knew him from...was he an RA? a student at UF while we were there? Danielle went up to him and said that we thought he looked very familiar. He said he went to UF. We said we did too. That is pretty common around these parts. Then he did a double take and ran to get his friend. He turned to his friend and said do you know who this is, pointing at me. He was in shock. They said omg you were our RA! It turns out they lived on one of my floors in Broward Hall. It was great to catch up with them. Back in the day they were both Freshmen, now they are grown up with real jobs, serious girlfriends and in town to go to a wedding. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment