Saturday, June 25, 2005

A Birthday Like None Other

So I turned 23 on Thursday. It was pretty uneventful. I went to work, at lunch at home like I usually do, and went to the gym and plugged 23 into the treadmill before my run. When I came home I noticed that my Dad had left a present in my room. He got me a Gator cup for my desk at work and a Chocolate covered cookie saying Happy Birthday. This may not seem like much, but my Dad always leaves all this up to my Mom, so just the thought he put into it meant the world to me. I called him at work and thanked him. I went to dinner with my Mom and sister. My Mom had bought me some flowers and we put them in a vase. We didn't do much on my actual birthday because I wanted to share the moment with Grant who was coming to visit.

Grant arrived around 10:30 on Thursday evening. I was waiting in the front room and was very excited when I saw his car pull in the driveway. I went outside to greet him and helping him inside. I told him that we were going out to dinner on Friday and doing cake and gifts afterwards so he could wait until then to give me my present.

I went to work on Friday and was able to leave the office by 3:30. Grant picked me up and we went to see Batman Begins. It was a pretty dark movie, but I like Batman and it was interesting...just a little slow at the beginning. I am a pretty impatient movie watcher. We drove to the restaurant and had a nice dinner with my family. Then, we came back home and had my favorite birthday dessert - angel food cake with berries. My brother's were not fond of my selection, but it was my birthday so I got to choose. Then, I got to open my presents. I opened my Mom's gifts first. She got me a bunch of clothes. It was really nice of her, but I will have to see if they fit and everything. My aunt got me some bath and body works lotions. I got a package from my friend Dani in Atlanta. She got me my favorite gift, a little pink Coach bag.

Grant got me a card. He wrote 2 sentences in it and that was it. He did not make me feel special at all and that is not something I am willing to compromise. I realized yesterday that Grant is a really nice guy. Treats me well, but I don't think it was too much to expect a little gift from him for my golden birthday. In front of my entire family Grant just gave me a card. I am hurt. I was trying to figure out how this situation could be remedied, but I think that it is just going to take time.

No comments:

Post a Comment